Enjoy these recipes with your St Patricks Day celebration!
- 1 lb. corned beef
- ½ pound Swiss Cheese
- 1 pkg mini rye toasts
- Thousand Island dressing
- 10 oz. sauerkraut
- Thinly slice corned beef into 2 inch square pieces or smaller. Split cheese into four equal squares.
- Load corned beef, one teaspoon sauerkraut, 1 teaspoon dressing and one slice of cheese onto a rye toast. Top with another rye toast to make sandwiches.
- Either grill sandwiches in lightly buttered pan, or bake in oven on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or individually wrap sandwiches in foil if transporting or to keep warm. Once in foil, sandwiches can be kept warm in warm oven.
Irish Potato Pancake Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons diced green onion
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil potatoes until tender, approx 20 minutes. Drain, cool, and remove skins.
- In a large bowl, loosely mash potatoes.
- Add bread crumbs, onions, lemon juice, and salt and mix well.
- Form into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Add oil to a deep, medium-sized skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Fry pancakes 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside on absorbent paper while frying the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with sour cream and applesauce for dipping.
(A nice variation is to add shredded cheddar cheese to the mash potato mixture!)
Chocolate Dot Shamrocks
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 package (12-oz.) Mini Chocolate Chips
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons green colored sugar
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
COMBINE flour and baking powder in small bowl. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in dry ingredients. Stir in morsels. Refrigerate for a few minutes until firm.
SHAPE dough into 3/4-inch balls; place three together to form shamrock shape on ungreased baking sheets. Roll small amount of dough to form stem. Sprinkle cookies with green sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.
BAKE for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.