The stage is set, the nominations are announced, and the outfits are ready…the countdown to the 82nd Academy Awards is on. The question is, what will you be doing to enjoy the event? Now we know, not everyone loves the Oscars, but it’s a great excuse to throw a party, entertain your friends and have some fun!
The fun thing about the Oscars is that the possibilities are limitless for throwing a theme party that will be remembered for decades to come! Choosing a theme that represents a decade, a category, a particular film, or just the celebration of the Academy Awards in general, allows for boundless possibilities. In our opinion, (as the guests and hosts of many parties!) there are basics that every successful celebration should have…after that, let your imagination and creative flair run free! If you don’t feel like you have the creative flair to figure it out yourself, there are tons of great sites with all the Oscar Party ideas you could ever need!
When entertaining, we try to anticipate what our guests will need to be the most comfortable. An assortment of light snacks is a must, when guests arrive they want to munch right away…also some non-alcoholic beverage choices, coffee, tea and soft drinks…and even if our party is a BYOB, we still make sure we have some beer and wine to offer, just in case! Make sure that your party has the “space” to accommodate the needs of your soiree…remembering that with an Oscar party, your focal point is going to be the Academy Awards show, so the TV placement and seating around it will be important! You can have fun with extra touches, such as movie themed music, ballots to track the voting, and even an Oscar for the guest that best predicted the results…the goal is to gather friends, relax and enjoy!
So on that note, we thought we would share a couple recipes for light appetizers that are favorites of ours…easy to prepare, easy to serve, and they always go quick so people must love them!
Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- 2 (8 ounce) packages herb cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
- 2 green onions, minced
- 4 (12 inch) flour tortillas (a variety of flavors and colors are nice here!)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ranch dressing mix, and green onions. Spread this mixture on each tortilla. Sprinkle red pepper and cheese (you can get creative here too, other veggies can be added!) over the cream cheese mixture. Roll up the tortillas, then wrap them tightly in aluminum foil.
- Chill 2 hours or overnight. Cut off ends of the rolls, and slice the chilled rolls into 1 inch slices
Warm Pizza Dip
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 1 package grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 package of pepperettes
- Any other pizza topping of choice
- Dippers of choice (pitas, tortilla chips, etc)
- In an oven proof dish spread cream cheese on the bottom, layer the pizza sauce, the mozzarella cheese, and the sliced pepperettes, plus any other toppings you would like
- Bake at 250-300 until heated through
- Serve warm with dippers of choice, an assortment is nice!